Wednesday, June 29, 2011

What's in a name??

For years, before and after becoming a parent, I have heard about the trials of parenthood. The sleepless nights, the barf in your hair, the pee on the wall, fits in public, embarrassing comments, the "guess what mama" or "why" one hundred and fifty times a day, etc etc etc. I have been able to handle all of these moments with composure and grace (well, not really but let's pretend).

I have found through my nearly 10 years of exceptional parenting that the hardest thing about being a parent happens before you even begin your trek as a parent. How on Earth do you name these things???? You are in charge of picking the thing that this person will be called for the rest of their life! What if you make a grievous mistake? What if you give them a name like Justin Case, and don't realize how easy you just made it for them to be made fun of by every single person forever.

As a "Heather feather what's the weather?" survivor, I can tell you that having a name that rhymes with lots of dumb stuff is unfortunate. With my children, I have tried to come up with all the ways in which their names could be made fun of, and I am pretty witty, so needless to say I am good at it. I remember with my daughter, my mom thought "Honor" was just adorable. Really Mother? Do you really want to name a girl a name that sounds like "On her"... doubt it. I went through a billion names, Destiny - sounds like a stripper, Honor - "Let's go get Honor", etc. For my son, we picked Jaxson early on, then Micheal Jackson had to go and die. Well, thanks a lot, if we go with Jaxson then everyone will associate my son with a bleached out, child molester... I'm good on that.

Now, here I am, pregnant again!!! From the day we found out we had the name picked out. So simple! William - after Clint's grandmother Billy, and Emmett - after Clint. Done and done! Then along comes my mom and says "I think Will Hardin might not be the best idea?"... I was like why? Hmmm... why? I said "Will Hardin, Will Hardin, Will Hardin" over and over and then BAM!!!!! It hit me... "If he stays out in the sun to long he WILL HARDIN!" UGH MY LIFE!

So that is JUST great... My husband and I don't exactly see eye to eye on names. He likes things like Wesley, I think we shouldn't name our child after a notorious killer (ie John Wesley Hardin). He likes Dallas, I think it might be a little weird to have a Denton and a Dallas (um, like Texas much ya weirdos?). I like Lucas, he hasn't told me why but he made a terrible face and said no. His comment yesterday pretty much sums up how this is going to go, "Great, now you will just be FBing me tons of names that I will hate."

So there it is... for the next 4 months we will be contemplating baby names and trying to find all the ways in which other people can turn them around to tease our little unborn baby. I really wish that we could just let him pick when he turns 10 or something... of course then his name would probably be Lightning McQueen or something equally as retarded.

What are your ideas for names and how did you ever come to an agreement???

That is all.

1 comment:

  1. I just looked through (a lot of) names/meanings online and prayed (a lot). In the Bible people named their children names that meant something significant - often related to what God was doing in their lives at the time, or sometimes God gave them a name for their child that was prophetic and meant something about the child's future life.

    If Chris or I vetoed a name it was not brought up again no matter how much the other liked it. I still have one that I love and Chris didn't... but I'm not writing it here because I hope to use it for a future girl (Lord willing) and don't want it on record that he excercised veto power over that name. :)

    We played the "how will this name get my child made fun of" game as well, and made sure to pay attention to initials, first letter of first name + last name, first name + first letter of last name, etc. etc. Not easy to reach a decision, but in the end the Lord led us to a name which has significance for us and is beautiful (imho, at least :) Good luck Hardins!

    ReplyDelete