Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Dear Sanity, Please come home.... Love, Me

I think it is a common misconception that since I homeschool I am some kind of super human mother. I think people probably think I do crafts with my kids, take grand adventures, use every opportunity as a teaching moment, my one year old knows his colors and letters, my house is always clean, and my family eats home cooked meals three times a day.

Well, anyone who knows me knows that this is false. Maybe the misconception is not so common. This annoyingly perky book sales person (first year college student, like um totally) came to my door yesterday. She was oozing sunshine on to my doorstep from the moment I opened the door. I told her I homeschooled my kids and she said "Wow, super mom". I couldn't help but laugh out loud. I was carefully concealing a living room covered in toys and dirty diapers with the front door and holding a bowl of pre-made muffing mix to go with my straight out of a box red beans and rice dinner. Super mom? I think maybe not.

So I let the poor lost soul come in because it was a billion degree outside, she had a very heavy book bag, and my boxed dinner was likely burning on the stove. I led her around the enormous mess on the floor in the living room, into the equally messy dining room. I told her to give me her sales pitch while I was spooning muffin mix please. She sat down at the kitchen table, which is covered in dried mashed potatoes. She sat down her back pack which my cat immediately jumped in to. She admired the human skeleton in the corner of the dining room (I'm sure this is where she started to re-think coming inside). She proceeded to tell me all about her wonderful books while Denton threw our sunscreen collection at her and sang babble in to a flashlight. She stepped on a bag of Cheezits on the floor ( oh I'm sorry, ma'am... you're sorry??), then she rested her arm on a half eaten dried up cheese stick. Sigh....

Her books were cool and I bought them. I think she deserved it. I even gave her a granola bar.

Today, I decided to do some yoga. I was in down dog when Denton decided to use my hair as a swing.

This is life around here. It ain't pretty! I am certainly no super-mom. I dig through a laundry basket and/or the dryer to dress myself everyday.

I don't really feel bad about it, I just wanted to set the record straight. I know you are all probably sitting around thinking you can never measure up to my momming.... I just want you to know I am human! HA!

That is all.

Heather

2 comments:

  1. Too funny! Makes the rest of us moms feel normal! Really enjoyed reading and look forward to more :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dress myself/my family out of a laundry basket/the dryer daily also. Your posts keep me smiling the entire time I read them. Keep it up! I needed that!

    ReplyDelete