Thursday, August 13, 2015

I don't know what Kindergarten will look like...

It has been awhile but I am needing a little outlet for now, so I am back. We are about to start a high schooler and a kindergartner in our home. I have a set plan for my 9th grader. She is excited. We are "outsourcing" a lot of her learning this year to our local co-op.

Kindergarten, somehow, seems like a larger undertaking to me than high school. How can that be? I guess it is because of the person I am kindergartenering (yes, I know that is not a word). I have four kids, and they all have very different personalities. Denton is my kindergartner. If he were to go to public school, I have NO doubt they would try to slap a label on his forehead day one. He is perfectly capable of intense focus, when it suits him. He can sit and watch a nature show, that would bore the pants off of most people, for hours. He can sit and look at a nature book for as long as I let him. At a zoo, you might think he can read because he can immediately identify almost any animal. I am not talking lions, tigers, and bears. I am talking koati, lemur, and blue tongued skink. He is smart, sensitive, and funny. He can also be very physically intense.

I guess I could compare him to a cat. One minute, he could be lounging quietly, the next he is scaling the couch and taking a flying leap towards his passing sister. I don't really KNOW what he needs. I am researching and studying and working to help him. When he is in a time of physical intensity, you can see it on his face that he can't help himself. You can yell, scream, command, but he really doesn't seem like he can stop himself. He NEEDS to move.

So, I don't know what kindergarten will look like in our home for this child. We tried a little "typical" kindergarten last year. Work books, reading lessons, etc. They didn't go over too well. I thought maybe he wasn't mature enough. I mean, I am sure he wasn't. I don't think much has changed. I am not saying he isn't mature. In a lot of ways, his maturity astounds you. He is very intellectual. I have done a lot of research, and I am just not sure "school at home" is what my little guy needs. We really want more than that for him, too.  Here are a few articles I have found interesting.

The Unhurried Homeschooler

An Interesting Article on Unschooling

This isn't the exact link, but it is the same idea.

How School Fails Boys

So, pray for my guy, pray for us. And if you have any experience with a dude like this, maybe leave some advice?

That is all.


No comments:

Post a Comment